Water Transferring Activity for Toddlers
Age: 18 months + (As always, all children are different- for this activity they do need to have the dexterity to squeeze the turkey baster. Sponge option for younger children below.)
Purpose: This is a fun activity for toddlers since it involves water! Working with water is a great sensory experience and is good exercise for their hand muscles and fine motor skills. It is a Practical Life exercise because it teaches children how to control the movement of water.
What to do:
1. Lay out the towel and fill one container with a few inches of water. Place the two containers and turkey baster on the towel.
2. Show your child how to hold the baster by the bulb and draw up water by squeezing it and releasing the pressure on the bulb.
3. Move the full baster over the second container and squeeze the water out.
Vocabulary introduced/used: squeeze, baster, bulb.
- For younger children (even as young as 6 months!), you can simply show them how to use a sponge to absorb water and squeeze it back out again.
- When they’re ready, you can show them how to use the sponge to soak up the water from one container and squeeze it into another.
- Once your child has mastered this activity, they can begin learning to control their movements using an eye dropper and smaller containers. Place the materials on a tray and include a small sponge for clean up.